Thursday, May 24, 2012

Understanding the Soil I Walk On


The University of Ghana

We landed and I was ready. Ready to embark upon this journey one day at a time. I dreamt it would happen, but never this early in my life. I am truly thankful to have this opportunity to travel and experience this excursion during this time of my life. Ghanaian people were said to be a people of peace. This aligns with my state in mind at the moment of wanting peace in my life. It will be interesting to see how this experience will play a role in my life from here on out and I am glad to share it with all of you.
“Thank you for flying with us today” were the last words I remember hearing before stepping foot into this new chapter in my life. I was in Ghana and there was no turning back (at least right now). It was around eight at night when we landed in Ghana. We were in Accra- the capital of Ghana. My classmates and I immediately got off the plane and into buses to be transferred to their custom services. It was interesting to see the Ghanaian workers and how they interpreted our presence in their country. We stood happily in a line that was understood to be citizens of “Other Nations,” however; we saw another line that read “ECOWAS Nations” as well. What does that mean? I was unsure, but I definitely was going to find time to research the meaning behind it. Since ECOWAS was not part of my vocabulary, I believed it had meaning. The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) was the answer I later found. This group of nations “is a regional group of fifteen countries, founded in 1975. Its mission is to promote economic integration in "all fields of
 economic activity, particularly industry, transport, telecommunications, energy, agriculture, natural resources, commerce, monetary and financial questions, social and cultural matters...” (1).  Furthermore, shortly after we entered the streets loaded in a 20+-passenger van. Note that you may be thinking shuttles or school buses when you read van with that many passengers, but it was the complete opposite. We were tight in space because of our luggage took up some of the seats, yet it was very efficient. I supposed Ghanaian do not like to waste space so they make it work. We soon arrived at the hotel and were given our room assignments. The rooms were spacious and clean with central air and cooling systems, which was nice because it was very humid even at 10 o’clock at night. I was not expecting the air conditioning, but I must say it was a great addition.
The next day we traveled to the University of Ghana and were introduced to our five Ghanaian peers. You could tell we were all excited to see each other, but we did not know how to act towards one another. They were different, we were different, and we all were aware of the differences we were about to encounter. They later explained the cultural and social norms with us and we became acquainted with one another. Before the orientation was over we were given names that were determined depending on the day of the week you were born. I really had no clue what day of the week I came into this world, but I said Wednesday so my name was Kwaku. It was moving to be given a name. It had meaning and history, which was something I never felt with my American name. As the day drew to a close we became more familiar with our Ghanaian peers calling them by name and asking the plenty of questions about their culture, education systems, and opinions on certain topics concerning mostly Africa’s development.
Thus, I began to realize this was only the beginning and I have so much to learn about Ghana and its people. Continue to learn and educate yourselves with me as I walk and talk with Ghanaian and African people.

(1) http://www.comm.ecowas.int/sec/index.php?id=about_a&lang=en

No comments:

Post a Comment