Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My Farewell Address


Today was the day. The day I would have to go back and face my realities of my American lifestyle and institutions after flying 20 hours to the “land of opportunity”. On the contrary, as my days in Ghana came to an end I began thinking about how I would adjust to the majority white fast paced society again? Now, if you know me well you know I have no problem with being around people who do not look like me, and I am at my best when I am moving constantly and caring for others. This is what I THOUGHT was my best before arriving in Ghana, but I can truly say that my best NOW is when I can reflect over my day, discuss it with someone or even a group of people, and see how can I make a difference in this world. So, I say I finally found it! Peace! This was the peace I was looking for in my life, the peace that God felt on his last days on the cross for me, the peace of knowing that I was selfish even when I thought I was not, the peace to know I should live life and care for ALL people. My peace is defined as being okay with my African heritage, telling my family and friends the untold stories of our African history, and the realization of who I am as a person. In my opinion, the stories untold in our American history about Africa account for some of my African American brothers and sisters struggles today. It is equivalent to the broken bondage between a mother and her children. This broken bond from the mother country caused her children to feed for their mother for centuries. Through years of colonialism, globalization, and assimilation, the African people have adopted and accepted their new white culture. I do not discredit my assimilation to the culture because I know it has made my experience as an African American challenging and rewarding at times. I realize the impact it has bestowed upon me as I continue into adulthood in a dominated white patriarchal society. In other words, the underlying feeling of being still, stuck, poor, different, and deceived by all of what a society such as this had to offer me, yet there is no more time to blame the victim anymore. It is time to stand up and speak out for African people in ALL places and remind people who believe that Africans and/or African descendants are uneducated, uncivilized, and ignorant that these stereotypes are no longer true. I must say farewell to those stereotypes and educate others about ethnocentrism, different cultures, and people around the world. This is essential for the progression of our culture and the movement of globalization around the world.
Moreover, my flight back was interestingly emotional and exciting. For example, my eyes opened during the night sky and I begin thinking about my experience in Ghana and my international service project with Ashaiman Senior High School. After reconciling my thoughts my eyes were full with tears, one tear rolled down my cheek while others followed. It was real. Ghana and its people would truly be missed and forever have pieces of my heart. The relationships obtained from Ghana were real and I did not want to let them shatter like a broken mirror on a dark wall of hopelessness. Especially since this was the same mirror that allowed me recognize my flaws, relationships with others, desires, and future endeavors. I am forever changed and blessed because of this trip. God has created a path for me now I must follow it and give back what I have learned and cherished these past four weeks. In for my followers I say Ma da’ ce (Thank you in Twi) if you have taken the time to keep up with me these last few weeks. I hope you see the difference this trip has made for me. However, I encourage to take your opportunities and learn from them for you one day will experience the joy of being with a group of people greater than yourself.



Ashaiman Senior High School Group (click link to see summary video)



No comments:

Post a Comment