Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Five Influences that Make a Difference



Fashion- create certain social stigmas

Media- it help me form my understanding of the world, yet it may not be always be accurate

Money- how I value things in my culture vs. other cultures

National Origin- it gives me a perspective that many people who do not look like will never really understand

Technology- it capitalizes on the information I am able to receive for different parts of the world just like media

These five items help me define who I am and influenced my decision to go to Ghana because I do not know what to expect. I do not know what I will be doing one day as I am trying to past the time, or if the people of Ghana can make me feel more aware of my National Origin. This feeling of curiosity led me to the Ghana Maymester program and this empowerment, self-awareness, intrigues me to further my education experience beyond US borders. 

It's easy to make a buck. It's a lot tougher to make a difference. Brokaw, Tom

2 comments:

  1. I am really interested in better understanding how fashion has influenced your decision to participate in the program. Fashion has definitely created several social stigmas with in our own society. One of the most prevalent stigmas in the fashion world revolves around weight. I would be interested to know how much of a role American culture and American social stigmas have played in the develop of social stigmas in Ghana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fashion is considered an influence, in my opinion, because of globalization. Since fashion is everywhere it can be said that fashion is created by the elite and passed down to the slums around the world. This does not mean that Ghana does not have its on fashion, however, if globalization has taken place in areas such as Ghana we should see the influence it has made around the world. As stated above "it's easy to make a buck".

    ReplyDelete